28.10.08

irony. they have it here, too.

I was lucky enough to get a native's tour of East Amman (read: Palestinian camps) tonight. It was like a whole other city. It's full of neighborhoods with character and community and real life, and, surprise, poverty. The thing that got me, though, was the fact that from just about everywhere in this part of the city - 100% Palestinian - you can see the huge Jordanian flag. And from West Amman you can't see it at all. In any case, I am so glad I got to see that part of the city finally and insha'allah I will get to go back, maybe in daylight and maybe for a longer amount of time. It really was amazing - you could just feel the sense of community from the people on the street. As nice as people might be here in the West, over there in the East they are ten times nicer and it just seems more like a place to call home, despite all the hardships they face.

No comments: