8.10.08

יום כיפור

An easy fast to all...
These last ten days are supposed to be the Days of Awe, the days when we ask forgiveness for all our sins against others of the past year, and tomorrow the day when we ask our forgiveness from God. It is coming at an interesting time, just after the end of Ramadan (Rosh Hashanah fell on the first day of Eid - good timing!). In one sense, I guess it's a good thing. My stomach is prepared and I'm in full fasting mode, although I did eat the requisite large pre-fast dinner, even if it was a bit later than sundown. Ramadan, too, is the beginning of the Islamic calendar year, and as such also a time for reflection, resolution, and repentance. So I feel more like I've had 40, not 10, Days of Awe and more than enough time to reflect on my life.I haven't done any Tashlich, although I suppose I still could, although I can't find any running water, this being the desert and all. As always I haven't actually asked anyone's forgiveness directly, but hopefully through actions and words I will grow to be a better person this year. That is, of course, always the goal, isn't it? And I hereby ask forgiveness of anyone I may have intentionally or unintentionally harmed in the past year.

I'm certainly feeling the lack of community here, as much as Yom Kippur is generally a miserable day, I would much rather be sitting in synagogue that in class/work tomorrow. If only I had a siddur with me... or can you imagine, Jerusalem on Yom Kippur? And only 50 km away...

No comments: